Thursday, June 05, 2008

Quote of the Week


Matthew's teacher was not only in charge of a room full of 35 little 9 and 10 year olds, but she was also working on her Master's in Education. She shared every challenge and step along the way with her class. Last month she invited us to her Hooding Ceremony and we watched every single grad walk across that stage, until they came to her. It meant the world to matthew to watch his teacher accomplish something she'd set her mind to do.

Quote of the Week is something that I will never forget saying to her, as I congratulated and thanked her for sharing the experience:

"You've been so much more than a teacher to these kids, you've been a role model for them. You've made the whole experience of going to college real to them. The effects of that are so far reaching, you have no idea how much I appreciate you sharing this experience with them."

The next day when i saw her, she thanked me for those words. She said that she went home and told her husband what I had said and it made her cry. It meant the world that it come from a parent of one of her kids.

Amy Wells.....She was Matthew's 4th Grade Teacher. She was his "example". Somehow, there just are not enough words to say Thank you....they just don't exist.

I told her that he wanted to know how far Stanford was from home. I told her that we've always talked about college, but she made it seem like a reality for him. She smiled and she said that she thought Matthew would make a great Engineer one day......only time will tell.

Schools out for Summer tomorrow and I have a huge lump in my throat. I always cry on the last day of school....still do.

1 comment:

Ramona said...

What a sweet story!